Niagara Falls 2013

Niagara Falls 2013

Monday, May 9, 2011

Lilly's New Hire

Spring Break was a scheduling mess this year - Chris' break was the first week of March while Caro's fell three weeks later.  Not only did I have meetings that couldn't be scheduled, Chris had mid-term exams as well so Caro tagging along as a little Doogie Howser wasn't so much of an option.  By Friday of Spring Break we had run out of options and Caro was cordially invited to come to work with me. 

Is she not the cutest New Hire you've ever seen??!!


 


The day was different, and a little less poetic, than I'd built up in my mind.  Most of my team was out of the office for a start-up meeting in Vienna or just at home for Spring Break.  Fewer people makes for a small audience, and Caro's energy level is definitely audience-driven!  Then we had a melt-down that concluded with me calling Chris to come pick her up immediately.  I was crushed.  She was crushed.  We were two broken girls, just searching for a way out of the sticky situation. 

This event was different from other icky days.. most of our icky days are attributable to me.  Not this one.  She made a genuine, avoidable, regrettable mistake - she gave into her flesh and did not use the self-control I know she has and have seen her use on numerous occasions, but oh how I wish I'd have handled it differently.  I was so afraid of my co-workers witnessing her bad decision and having less respect for me as a result.  The last 10 months have been a painstaking journey of earning respect and I was desperate to hold on to every shred I'd earned.

That afternoon she continued with some plans for a playdate while I stayed and worked.. and sulked... and cried.  I was genuinely happy to arrive home to that brilliant Caro smile and find that her spirit hadn't been eternally crushed - but the thought of her remembering those harsh words and tears has just torn at my heart every day since.  It hurts just to write about it...

HOWEVER...I'm am SO looking forward to her next visit.  Even more than before if you can believe it!  Not getting to take her on the full tour, treat her to a fire-baked pizza at the Mall Caf or some decaf at Coffee Zon, or walk around and feed the ducks with her has been on my mind every single day of the last 6 weeks.  I canNOT wait to bring my sweetie back to work!  We'll laugh and play and walk and eat and sip and feed and skip and chat and anything else we can think of.  Redemption is one of our most precious gifts, and I already feel God's blessing on that day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment