Niagara Falls 2013

Niagara Falls 2013

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Product Review: Children's Claritin® Chewables



As an adult with allergies parenting a child with allergies, these therapies have always been a high priority for us. While I recognize the importance of being "Pediatrician-Recommended", I have to wonder if the Claritin brand has been able to secure this position because the line of medication offers several methods of administration and because the medication is mild enough for most children without also inducing drowsiness and fussiness. Claritin Non-Drowsy Children's formula comes in chewables (what we tried last week), Redi-tabs, and traditional syrup. The line is well-developed and well-branded with a bold, fresh look - you tend to notice these things when you work in pharma. Their website is also easy to navigate and contains valuable coupons - all important if you're considering Claritin as your regular allergy therapy throughout the spring, summer, and fall. 

For us, the efficacy wasn't there. We gave it a whole week, but my 8 year old daughter's runny nose, itchy throat, and watery eyes were still impairing her activity level. The allergy symptoms had diminished somewhat (mostly the sneezing), but several symptoms were definitely still present. I will say that she didn't experience any drowsiness, which is super important on school days. For us, the competitor Z-brand provides better efficacy with little to no side effects. I just wish they had a more fully-developed peds line, similar to the Claritin line.

No comments:

Post a Comment