Niagara Falls 2013

Niagara Falls 2013

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The first of (hopefully) many races together

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, 
let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, 
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."
Hebrews 12:1

Caroline and I participated in The Great North Run last Saturday.  She's been training with the running club at school for about 6 weeks, and she did an AMAZING job..

I am so proud of her.  I'm proud of her dedication and her discipline.  I'm proud of the decisions she made all week that helped her feel strong for her first full 5K race.  (She voluntarily drank extra water and went to bed early on Thursday and Friday night.)

It can be so tough to explain to our children why it's important to make disciplined decisions ahead of a big challenge.  The smile on her face following the race was one of accomplishment, but also one of new understanding.

Caroline's first 5K:  The Great North Run
 
My heart swells when I look at this photo of my precious daughter.  She's completely spent, plopped right down on the floor in the High School hallway, eating the fruit and chocolate milk that she chose over the gummy snack and muffins in the recovery area.  She happy and proud of herself and enjoying every moment of her first real endorphin surge.

We're already planning our strategy for next year's race, and I'm looking forward to many more runs alongside my blessing daughter.   Listening to music, or chatting softly, or maybe just jogging in silence as we listen to our feet pound the trail in Holliday Park.

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment